6 Ways You’ll Lose Money in Email Marketing
Consider this: fixing one common email marketing mistake can raise the rate at which prospects open your email by 137% and increase click-through rates by 129%, according to one study.
Indeed, fixing common mistakes can dramatically improve the ROI of email marketing. In fact, just recently one of our clients remarked at how much his newsletter’s open rates had spiked since we took over doing the work. He had been sending newsletters for years with minimal results.
His company is not alone. Bad email marketing is rampant. It’s not only a waste of money, but it’s also a huge lost opportunity because well-executed email marketing can do wonders for a business.
Here are six common mistakes you should avoid in email marketing
Thinking “more is better”
Studies have found that the more you email to your database, the lower your open and click-through rate. The only exception usually comes from companies that send less than one e-mail per month.
While some companies may see a short term spike in sales from increasing the frequency in their mailings from monthly to weekly, the long term damage can be substantial. Over-mailing can reduce brand loyalty and will inevitably raise the number of damaging spam complaints and unsubscribe requests. And once someone unsubscribes, you’ve lost them forever.
Gambling rather than testing
Do you send out an email campaign and just hope for the best? That’s gambling. With email marketing, it’s smart to forgo gambling and instead test before you launch a campaign. Depending on the size of your database, send two or three variations of an email to a subset of your email list to see not only the open rate but also the click-through rate of the emails.
You may find that one subject line gets the highest open rate, but another subject line gets greater click-throughs. Click-throughs are of critical importance, so take note of those when comparing your test emails.
One research study found that personalizing your email can increase open rates by as much as 137% and click-through rates by as much as 129%. While these numbers may vary from study to study, they are still indicative of the importance of addressing recipients by their names—something that many marketing systems can easily do for you. Doing so will pay off.
They say not to judge a book by its cover, but when it comes to marketing, a cover is largely all you have. Your prospects will judge your company by how professional your marketing looks and reads. This is no time to skimp. Make sure your content reads like it was written by a professional, and that your email looks professionally designed. And I’m not talking about the default design templates provided by many email marketing services. You need an email piece that makes your company look great. After all, this book will be judged by its cover.
Forgoing triggered emails
You may be surprised to hear that well-timed, triggered emails are opened at double the rate of regular email marketing. Triggered emails are those that arrive in response to something that happens, such as the birthday of one of your prospects, or when they purchase your service, or when they buy a house. Be sure that your email specifically addresses the trigger for your outreach.
Undervaluing your contacts
Every contact you make is a possible new business lead or referral source. Don’t forget to enter them into your company database. Even better, make sure you enter not only their contact details, but also the nature of the relationship, how you met them, whether they are prospects, and every time you reach out to them. After all, growing your database will grow the reach of your marketing efforts.
Email marketing best practices
The next time you consider how to grow your business, generate more leads or increase your company’s name recognition, think of email marketing. When done correctly, it’s something every company should do. Need help? Reach out to us. We’ll get your email marketing to yield optimal results.
It is NOT about spam
- – Let’s clarify what spam is
- – Spam consequences
What’s so amazing?
- – The world’s most inexpensive printing press, assistant, and post office
- – The rule of seven
- – You don’t even need to own a web site
Did you know that a computer engineer Ray Tomlinson who works for GTE sent the first e-mail in 1971? When asked what inspired his invention Tomlinson answered, “Mostly because it seemed like a neat idea.”
And a neat idea it is — isn’t it?
Mention e-mail marketing to the average internet user and he or she will think right away about spam, which is sending bulk e-mail to thousands of people who don’t even know you. This is not what I have in mind.
By the way, this interesting expression SPAM came from the famous Monty Python sketch. (“Well, we have Spam, tomato & Spam, egg & Spam, egg, bacon & Spam…”) It was a story about a guy ordering food from the menu in a restaurant, and whatever he wanted was made out of Spam. Spam became a synonymous term for the excess of unwanted stuff. So, SPAM stands also for unsolicited commercial e-mail.
Spamming is considered at least as big a sin as ruining the rain forest.
Please, carefully consider any mass mailing designed to promote your business so that you are not accused of spamming. Spamming will alienate people who could otherwise become your loyal friends or buyers. It can bring you a lot of bad publicity and even mess up your reputation.
People hate spam, and although many have learned to filter and ignore it, many others will go to war with every sender of unsolicited email that they receive. In response they will send hate mail, or will “bomb” your e-mail box with hundreds of those e-mail messages sent back to you, causing your e-mail box to get full and temporarily out of order. They might complain to your server administrator and even get your account closed.
It is really that serious.
Here are 10 ways to ensure your sales pipeline is consistent:
- Set a goal for the number of new business prospects you will call each week. Don’t worry if the number seems small to begin with. Just do it. Activity will lead to momentum. Momentum will lead to results and more activity.
- Make time in your schedule for prospecting every week and don’t allow any excuse to throw you off track. Even if you only book an hour, it’s an hour you did not spend prospecting last week.
- Be prepared. Know what you are going to ask. Know what you are going to say. Be a real professional and that will differentiate you from the amateurs with their inspiring “pitches” like, “I just wanted to drop by…” or the classic “How are things today?”
- Never be casual in your approach. Casualness causes casualties. You have “business” on your mind and you can’t waste your or the prospect’s time with your favourite “knock, knock” joke. Word travels fast, so do everything you can to make sure that all the talk about you is positive.
- Never drive across town if you haven’t called on the guy across the street. If you have 10 minutes between calls, make a prospecting call on business along the way.
- Prospect your existing customers. A DSR friend of mine picked up a $500 a week customer when he talked to the housekeeping department of a hotel where he was already selling the restaurant $2,500.
- When you have identified a “qualified” prospect, keep calling on him until he buys. Even if you spend less than 5 minutes a week, the prospect will be reminded that you want the business and are working to earn it. There is a magic line between persistence and stalking. If anything, err on the side of stalking. You can always apologize later by explaining, “Mr Prospect, I think you are worth the time I am investing.” Eventually, your competition will drop the ball.
- Ask your customers for referrals. You don’t know who they know. You don’t know what they know. Never assume.
- Make cold calls on parts of the industry you aren’t calling on now. Is there a caterer or banquet hall you need to talk to? Is there a school or children’s daycare near one of your accounts? Does a local bar need a line of appetizers or precooked burgers? Don’t tell me all the reasons you believe it’s a waste of your time. A friend of mine sells a Knights of Columbus Hall more than $1,000 a week. Another DSR discovered the local little league park buys almost $2,000 a week during the baseball season.
- Take a hunch to lunch. Build a relationship over coffee or breakfast. Spend time with allied sales professionals and share information. Who does the liquor or beer route salesperson know? Does the cash register/computer specialist know who is opening up in your territory before you do? Who do you know that they should be talking to? Share a lead or two and build a network of people who support your efforts.This is a short list but a list that I have seen work. Of course, they are almost certain to fail if you don’t use them.
Boosting Business With Email Autoresponders
- An autoresponder can help your business by automatically emailing your clients and customers with a preset template or message that will help to increase your sales and conversions.
- An autoresponder can help your list of clients grow, even send each one of them their own personalized email message by using special code within the message itself to embed their first name or email address. If you choose, you can also follow up each individual email with repeated emails, varying the content whenever you wish.
These programs will also allow you to keep track of conversations, and send out broadcast email messages whenever you have news or new products to offer your clients.
- As past research has shown, personalized email from autoresponders is a great way to boost your business. When you send a personalized email to one of your clients, the autoresponder will address him or her by their name – which always makes a customer take notice. While you could do this yourself using traditional email, it could take you a few hours if you have a long list of customers.
- A good autoresponders service, like Aweber, make sending a personalized email a snap. All you need to do is set up your email template, then select where you like the name to go.
- You can add everyone in your customer list to the autoresponder, which makes sending emails a snap. Once you have everything ready to go, all you need to do is send out the emails with one simple click. Best of all – you don’t have to set it up again when you need to send out broadcast messages.
- Although there are some people who will buy products after one or two emails, most people require about seven or eight emails before they will purchase anything (this is a widely accepted fact). Autoresponders can really help you there, as they will do all of the emailing for you. You don’t have to keep sending manual emails or anything like that. All you need to do is set up the email address, type in your preset message, and then feel free to send it as many times as you like.
- Through the use of an autoresponder, you can really boost your business. If you run an Internet marketing business, this tool will prove to be invaluable. You can spend less time sending messages – and more time doing what you enjoy. If you’ve never tried an autoresponder before, you owe it yourself to check out everything they will do for you and your business. Online businesses can get a lot of emails on a daily basis – which is where the autoresponder will really start to shine and show you just how great of an asset it really is.
Ways To Make Money Using Your Email List
An opt-in list can is crucial to any site or internet based company. Even for a small venture such as a niche profit site, an opt-in list can make a world of difference and also add some extra income for your pocket. Rarely would you see an e-commerce site, big or small, that is without an opt-in list.
An opt-in list allows for a company to market their wares and site via an e-mail. With an opt-in list, a site and a subscriber consents to sending and receiving a newsletter from your company. Through this, you can keep your subscribers abreast of what is currently available in your site as well as whatever is coming out.
And because there is mutual consent between the two parties, any mail sent to the list is not considered as spam mail. There is a great number of successfully read promotional materials such as catalogues, newsletters and such that are sent because the subscribers themselves have signed up for them, meaning, they do want to be sent those items.
Building a list is crucial, only a small percentage actually subscribes for an opt-in list. Many people find promotional mails annoying but of you provide a good newsletter or promotional material, you will see your list build up and grow. You can also achieve this by having good content on your site. If people like what they see and read on your site, then they surely would want more. Newsletters would be a way to attract them back to your site. A little teaser or appetizer if you will.
But other than email marketing for your wares and your services, an opt-in list can also be used to earn extra profit. Not all lists can be used though. It would be good to first build a successful list with a huge number of subscribers. The more subscribers you have, the more money you can get. Here are seven ways to make money using nothing more than your list.
- Place advertisements. There are many corporations who will be willing to pay to put their banners and ads on a list with many subscribers. Selling or renting out lists is not a good idea so rather than doing that, many companies would just rather place ads with lists that have a huge subscriber base. Your newsletter could be placed with many ads and each one spells money.
- Have affiliations with other companies that have at least a semblance or relation to what your site is about. Here other companies will provide links and brief descriptions of what they offer, products and services. With every click made on the link that directs or leads a subscriber from your list to their site, the company will pay you. This P4P or pay for performance.
- Make deals with other companies by asking for a small percentage of sales done through your list. With every sale done by customers that have come from your list and have gone there because of your newsletter, the other company will pay you a small percentage of your sales. The more people who buy from them, the more earnings you get.
- You may also get products from other sites on a consignment basis and sell them to your list via your newsletter. Place descriptions, articles and photos of the product in your newsletter. There will be those who will buy from you and when that happens, you can order the product from the other site and sell it to your buyer.
- Sell e-books or a compilation of your articles on your list. Manuals and how-to articles are in great demand. Many people will be willing to shell out money to gain knowledge about a certain topic and subject. With your existing list trusting your expertise in that area, an e-book could be offered and sold or used as an incentive.
- Create a network out of your list. Get people to invite more people to view your site and subscribe to your list. The larger your list is, the more people will be able to click on your links and affiliate links as well as make your advertisement rates higher.
- Subscribers are willing to pay for information if they know that it can be trusted and relied upon. Use your list to get more and more people to subscribe to you as well as browse your site. Lastly, you can use your list to earn money by making them your partners. Your list will be the bloodline of your growth and increase.
Things To Avoid When Emailing Your List
When you decide to have an opt-in list, it is not just a matter of sending your subscribers your promotional newsletters or catalogues. There are many things to consider in avoiding many complications.
While there are so many ways you can make people subscribe to your list through email marketing, there are also some things you must do to avoid subscribers from wanting to get off from your list.
Aside from that, you also want to avoid any problems with the law and your internet service provider or ISP. There are now many laws and rules that are applied to help protect the privacy of internet users from spamming and unwanted mails.
With the popularity of the electronic mail as a medium for marketing because of the low cost, many company’s have seized the opportunity and have flooded many people’s e-mail accounts with promotional mail.
But, with an opt-in list, you avoid this annoyance because people subscribe to the list; they want to receive the newsletters and promotional materials. They have consented to be on the list by subscribing themselves, just don’t forget to put an unsubscribe feature every time in your opt-in list so that you avoid any confusion. There may be times when an email account was provided when the real owner didn’t want to subscribe.
It is essential that you keep your list clean and manageable. Arrange it by using the many tools and technologies available for your opt-in list. Do not worry; your investment in this marketing strategy is well worth it with all the coverage you will get which will likely be converted into sales then to profit.
Keep yourself and your business out of trouble and potential run-ins with the law and the internet service providers. Keep your operation legit and clean. Your reputation as a legitimate businessman and a legitimate site depends on your being a straight and true marketing strategist.
As a tip, here are three things to avoid when emailing your list for email marketing.
- Take notice of your unsuccessful sends. These are the e-mails that bounce. Bounced emails, also known as undeliverable messages, are those messages that, for whatever reason, were not successfully received by the intended recipient.There are bounces that happen or occur because the server was busy at that time but can still be delivered in another time. There are also bounces because the inbox of the recipient is full at that time. There are those bounce messages that are simply undeliverable ever. The reason for this is that it may be an invalid email address, a misspelt email address, or an email address that was abandoned and erased already.
Manage your list by putting markings on those that bounce. Erase an email account from your list so that you have accurate statistics and records as to how many are actually receiving your mail. You may also want to check the spellings of your email addresses in your list. One common mistake is when an N instead of an M is placed in the .com area.
- Always provide an unsubscribe feature in your site and an unsubscribe link in your mails. When someone in your list files a request to be unsubscribed, always take that request seriously. If you don’t take them off your list and keep sending them your e-mails, you are now sending them spam mail.When you are reported as a spammer, you and your business can get into a lot of trouble. You can be reported to the authorities and maybe blacklisted by many internet service providers. You will lose a lot of subscribers this way and many more in potential subscribers.
- Do not provide pornographic or shocking and disturbing content in your newsletters. It is hard to decipher the age of the recipient and many complaints may stem from these. Controversial issues also are to be avoided to not be branded by your subscribers. Stick to the nature of your site and business.
Always remember these tips in this article so that you can have a healthy relationship with your subscribers as well as be kept within the boundaries of what is allowed in sending mails to an opt-in list.
Sequential Autoresponder for Email Marketing
Internet marketing is a big thing today with more and more people joining the ranks every day. In order to promote this explosion, there are a number of tools to aid it. One of the major players in the tools list is the autoresponder.
What are autoresponders you will ask? In plain words, this is basically an automatic mass emailing program which response automatically to any incoming mail with a pre-stored message.
There are two types of autoresponders:
(i) one-time autoresponders,
(ii) sequential autoresponders.
One-time autoresponder: This type of autoresponder will reply only once to any email that comes to a specific email address. This is a good thing if you want to promote a product with a brief introduction and offer for registration to a newsletter, etc. It is a one-time affair. Usually, the one-time autoresponders are used to distribute introductory letters, price lists, confirmation letters or welcoming letters, datasheets, latest posted articles, and so on.
What is Sequential autoresponder?
As the name implies this autoresponder will send email is a sequence. The messages are pre-recorded as in the case of the one-time autoresponder. However, in this case, the difference is that based on the reply or lack of it, the sequential autoresponder will send a pre-determined number of emails at certain pre-determined time intervals.
For example mail no. 1 will go on x date, then mail no. 2 will go three days after, mail no. 3 will go one day after, and so on. Because these are so easy to use, they are used almost as a secretary. You program it once and then you sit back and see the results because the machine will do all the work.
Examples for the use of sequential autoresponders will include online courses, promotions, ad tracking, mail campaigns (which can be virtually unlimited), a follow-up to business leads (again this can be unlimited), reminder services, regular delivery of items (articles, jokes, latest quotes, etc)
The sequential autoresponders are a wonderful tool in email marketing because it can do all the work for you with the least amount of effort and personally follow up. You will need to work out your campaign and promotion style, feed in the time gap and the messages you want to be transmitted to your customers or prospective customers and then, wait back for the business to roll in.
An additions bonus that the sequential autoresponders do today is storing the contact information as the customer touches your website. In this way, you can reach the customer immediately. The customer is happy because they get instant and personalized (almost) replies and they do not waste time waiting for the relevant information to make a decision.
The sequential autoresponders are a real boon to the Internet entrepreneurs and the customers alike. Without their automation, immediate response and broad information dissemination would not have been possible, making business expansion a very cumbersome process. Their existence, however, is witness to the ingenuity of man to use the machines to their optimal advantage.
With a sequential autoresponder on, you can set your business with the least effort and greatest possible returns.
The key is to make prospecting a regular habit. Use one or two of the ideas each week and you will never be faced with an empty pipeline when regular customers stop buying.
Welcome to WANS, a platform where readers and writers meet. WANS aims to provide the content in a simple and concise manner. It’s a worldwide general information platform designed to make great resource.
WANS was founded in 2019 to create a global media news platform for providing high-quality content. We give chances to authors to share their views, experience and thoughts with a huge massive audience of readers over the globe.
We cover Beauty, Health, Make Money Online, Technology, WordPress, Digital Marketing, Law & Travel related niches.